1.05.2012

A Couplet of Things to Consider


“Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye feat. Kimbra

This is how you tell a story through a song. 


“I’m Australian and heartbroken. You dig me.”

“You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well, you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad it was over
But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened
And that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger
And that feels so rough
And you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records
And then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know”




Translation:
A tale as old as time: man and woman fall in love. Then out of love when they figure out they don’t actually like sitting on the couch arguing about what movie to watch. They agree to “just be friends.” 

Disney should make a movie where the girl and boy are “just friends” at the end. It’d be representative of our time!



Apparently someone forgot to mention that being friends really only means on Facebook (for stalking purposes of course) and the occasional accidentally-bumped-into-you-at-our-old-spot. Otherwise, totally ignoring you and oh yeah, I forgot you liked grocery shopping too. 

"I don’t need you to like me, he says, but I want you to acknowledge that I tweeted you.”



Then comes denial. Ignore someone long enough, and there is a point where they go crazy. And write a song about it.

Like Adele. 

Accuse and accept. Now he treats her the same as she treated him. Real world ending.

If you listen to the whole song, you’ll hear the B side of this story. She has her say as well. 

1 comment: